Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars: A Biased Recap

As an Aussie and major Heath and Hugh fan i was always going to love this years Oscars. For one thing we have been promised these Oscars will be like no other...Hugh certainly delivered that. I am the first to admit i love musicals; if my life were a movie it would be a musical, hence by opening the show with a musical number that not only poked fun at or as us Aussie's say; took the piss out of, the economy, the industry and of course, himself. 'I AM WOLVERINE!' From there they introduced the awards in an entirely new fashion; bringing out 5 past winners for past supporting actor/actress including some of my fav (*cough*CHRISTOPHER WALKEN*cough*) Then awesome sets, Jennifer Aniston, Jack Black and of course the always awesome Will Smith rockin out, of only he had gone 'Aw Hell No!' 

Heath Ledger won the Oscar, of course. There will always be those negative people that will say he only won because he died. Watch the damn movie, it was obvious from his performance that he would win, Michael Caine spoke of it BEFORE he died. I cried when his family accepted the award, it was definitely deserved, anyone who was seen him in films like Two Hands, Monster's Ball or Brokeback Mountain will agree. Why is it that it seems the best die young?

Congrats to Meryl Streep on 15 nominations; I am yet to watch one of her movies and hate it. Not many women of her reknown would make a movie like Mamma Mia! in the same year as Doubt. In fact i don't think many actresses have the range and likeability to make both, let alone the talent. So what if she wasn't the worlds best singer, her love for the part and her energy was what made the movie fun, oh and Dominic Cooper really helped too *drools*

Did anyone else want to roll their eyes when Jennifer Aniston was presenting and the camera practically gave us all whiplash in its haste to get to Brangelina? Brad was of course watching intently and Angelina gave the performance of her life looking carefree and not like she wanted to kill Jen... but again i'm biased, totally Team Aniston. Robert Pattinson and Amanda Seyfried presented a short reel of Romance of 2008 and a lot of movies were included, i actually thought there banter was cute, 'I had to become a vampire to find love'...'well i three fathers', Twilight of course had at least 3 different videos throughout the reel but also included was Sarah Marshall, Mamma Mia! and HSM3. My other favourite presenters were definitely James Franco, Seth Rogen and the DP, their short was very funny, but then again i've been a sucker for Franco from early on. Many forget the awesomeness that was the Rogen and Franco team on Freaks and Geeks. I, of course crushed on Franco in his god awful teen flick phase where he made the movies whatever it takes with another one time crush Shane West (Pre AWTR). 

Ben Stiller mocking Joaquin Phoenix wasn't funny and Natalie Portman trying to banter with him was just awkward. He said he wants to stop making funny films, here's my question when did he start? He was funny...ten years ago. Honestly the last film of his i really liked was Heavyweights and i saw that bak in '96. I watched Dodgeball and hated it because all i could see was him ripping off his old character. Here's the really kicker- Heavyweights? Written by Judd Apatow before he was Judd Apatow

THE FASHION
Some of the dresses were just GODAWFUL, i had my own favourites including the gorgeous Evan Rachel Wood in her glam self, though i am seriously girl crushing on her after watching Across the Universe, i really wished that all we needed was love!
Melissa George in her white fishtail gown was so beautiful! I really liked Amanda Seyfried's red dress and necklace as well. 
I absolutely hated some of the dresses including the white one that looked like a toilet roll and Tilda Swinton who i think was born without a sense of style and never invested in a mirror. I have never seen her in an outfit that i liked. 

IN REVIEW
I'm giving this years show two thumbs up. Hugh was delectable, Heath won like he deserved and the actual show was watchable. Even if they did rely on tin foil and empty toilet roll holders to make some of the sets =P

1 comment:

  1. I'm really loving these Oscars...I'll post my full opinions in the morning. Hugh is truly amazing and I've thought so for years and I'm so glad that the rest of the world is recognizing this now.

    As for Heath's win...He would have had the nomination in the bag no question, as for the win, I think it still would have been likely, but I think Robert Downey Jr. would have been more of a possibility if Heath were alive, only because the Academy has a tendency to award in the line with what will make the best show and if Heath Ledger hadn't died rewarding Downey for his massive comeback this year would be right up their alley. But I'm slightly cynical that way.

    The fashion was hit or miss, but my winner is Frieda Pinto. She is beautiful and I loved that her gown had Sari influences.

    ReplyDelete